Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hancock County / 9-32 Findlay College [9]

ALERT: There are two markers numbered 9-32 in Hancock County. The other is 'McComb First Presbyterian Church.'

Title, side A
Findlay College
Title, side B
None
Text, side A
Findlay College was a joint venture of the Churches of God, General Conference, and the Village of Findlay. It was chartered on January 28, 1882, to provide a liberal arts education within a Christian context for all--regardless of race or sex. Old Main was constructed between 1883 and 1886 at a cost of $51,662.95. It was 171 by 107 feet, one of the largest college buildings in the state, and the only one heated by natural gas. The cornerstone was laid on May 25, 1884.
Text, side B
Classes began on September 1, 1886. There were 170 students and 10 faculty members the first year. The first commencement was held in June, 1889, with two students, Flora Kimmel and J.P. Shelley receiving degrees. The first president of the College was John Roland Harris Latchaw, 1884 - 1893. Charles Trout Fox was the first dean, 1886 - 1929. Winebrenner Theological Seminary, until 1961 known as Winebrenner Graduate School of Divinity, was established in 1942.
Address
1000 N. Main Street
Findlay, OH 45840
Location
Just N of the main entrance to the college
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.053978, Longitude: -83.650367.
Google map: