Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hancock County / 21-32 The Glass Industry of Findlay [3]

  • 21-32 Marker 21-32 Marker
  • 21-32 The Setting 21-32 The Setting
  • 21-32 Marker 11-14-09 21-32 Marker 11-14-09
Title, side A
The Glass Industry of Findlay
Title, side B
NULL
Text, side A
In 1884, the first natural gas well was successfully drilled in Findlay, and when The Great Karg Well, then the largest in the world, was drilled in 1886, the boom was on. Many industries, especially glass, were attracted to Findlay, lured by free or cheap gas for fuel. They included eight window, two bottle, two chimney lamp, one light bulb, one novelty, and five tableware glass factories. Famed manufacturing pioneer and inventor Mike Owens (later associated with Owens Illinois) managed the Richardson Glass Works, located at this site in 1891-1892. Tableware glass companies included Bellaire Goblet (1888-1892), Columbia Glass (1886-1892), Dalzell, Gilmore & Leighton (1888-1901), Findlay Flint Glass (1889-1991), and Model Flint Glass (1888-1893). Tableware companies employed women as decorators and packers. Hundreds of skilled glassworkers came from the eastern states of America, as well as Europe, especially Belgium, France, and Germany. Bottle glassworkers were among the first workers to unionize and to use collective bargaining.
Address
421 E. Main Cross Street
Findlay, OH 45840
Location
The Richardson Glass Works, 421 E. Main Cross Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.035300, Longitude: -83.631300.
Google map: