Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hancock County / 17-32 19th Century Freight Depot [4]

  • 17-32 Freight Depot Findlay 17-32 Freight Depot Findlay
  • 17-32 Railroads of Findlay 17-32 Railroads of Findlay
  • 17-32 Railroad Station-Findlay 17-32 Railroad Station-Findlay
  • 17-32 19th Century Freight Depot 17-32 19th Century Freight Depot
Title, side A
19th Century Freight Depot
Title, side B
Railroads of Hancock County
Text, side A
The freight depot east of this marker stands on the western terminus of Hancock County's first rail link to the outside world. In 1849 the Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad Company opened a branch line from Findlay to its main line at Carey. A freight warehouse was built here ca. 1848 and passenger station in 1863. The Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis Railroad replaced these earlier buildings with the present depot in the 1890s.
Text, side B
By the time of the 1890's Gas Boom era the following railroads had linked Findlay and Hancock County to most parts of Ohio as well as the nation. 1849: Mad River & Lake Erie Railroad, 1860: Lake Erie & Western Railroad, 1874: Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, 1880: McComb, Deshler & Toledo Railroad, 1881: New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad, 1883: Cleveland, Delphos & St. Louis Railroad, 1883: Toledo, Columbus & Southern Railroad
Location
East St. Between E. Crawford and E. Sandusky at the Greek Revival House, Findlay
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.037500, Longitude: -83.646700.
Google map: