Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hancock County / 11-32 Village of Arcadia / The Arcadia Heritage [3]

Title, side A
Village of Arcadia
Title, side B
The Arcadia Heritage
Text, side A
Settled in 1833, Arcadia was one of the last permanent villages to be established in eastern Hancock County. Pioneers Ambrose, David, and Ephriam Peters laid out the farming village on the south edge of "Wild Cat Thicket." They found the resident Wyandot Indians friendly and helpful. Arcadia was incorporated in 1859. Soon after, the Lake Erie & Western, and the New York Chicago & St. Louis railroads entered the village. (Continued on other side)
Text, side B
1830s Methodist Episcopal Society established 1833 First log schoolhouse 1855 135 lots laid out 1859 Arcadia incorporated 1863 Four physicians in practice 1872 Lutheran church built 1880s Two hotels, a drug store, a broom factory, and a handle factory in business 1889 Coal-gas plant for heat and light 1900s Reeves Park located on east edge of town 1916 Electric plant
Address
Arcadia Lions Community Center, 301 W. Brown Road
Arcadia, OH 44804
Location
Just left of the entrance to the building facing County Road 254, just N of W Brown Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.109036, Longitude: -83.516854.
Google map: