Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 56-25 The Upper Arlington Historic District [2]

  • 56-25 The Upper Arlington Historic District Marker 56-25 The Upper Arlington Historic District Marker
  • 56-25 25-Feb-06 56-25 25-Feb-06
Title, side A
The Upper Arlington Historic District
Text, side A
The Upper Arlington Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985, is an important example of the "Garden City" model of early 20th century suburban development. Based on English precedents, the "Garden City" movement promoted the ideals of rustic beauty, health and comfort in an era when urban areas were becoming increasingly industrialized and congested. Local entrepreneurs King and Ben Thompson purchased 840 acres of farmland northwest of Columbus from James T. Miller for the creation of their "Country Club District" in 1913. The Upper Arlington Company, incorporated in 1917, built its field office in the building now used as Miller Park Library. Noted landscape architect William Pitkin, Jr. designed the curvilinear streets, spacious lots with generous setbacks, and permanent open spaces that characterize the district. Residential, civic, and commercial designs in the romantic Period Revival architectural styles popular between 1915 and 1940 contribute to the charm and character of the area known as Old Arlington.
Address
1901 Arlington Avenue
Upper Arlington, OH 43212
Location
Miller Park, 1901 Arlington Avenue
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.995195, Longitude: -83.060879.
Google map: