Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 34-25 The Bank Block [6]

  • 34-25 #34-25 The Bank Block A 34-25 #34-25 The Bank Block A
  • 34-25 #34-25 The Bank Block B 34-25 #34-25 The Bank Block B
  • 34-25 Cheryl & Ernest C. Tuller 34-25 Cheryl & Ernest C. Tuller
  • 34-25 The Grandview Bank Block 34-25 The Grandview Bank Block
  • 34-25 Bank Block - 1930 34-25 Bank Block - 1930
  • 34-25 Mr. Thermopolis found this marker on a visit to Jeni's Ice Cream 34-25 Mr. Thermopolis found this marker on a visit to Jeni's Ice Cream
Title, side A
The Bank Block
Text, side A
Built by pioneering retail developer Don Monroe Casto Sr., the Bank Block was dedicated in 1928. Considered one of the earliest regional shopping centers in the United States, it innovatively featured 350 free parking spaces-complete with uniformed attendant-to accommodate the rapidly growing numbers of automobile-owning suburbanites. The Bank Block's first tenants included several competing national grocers (Kroger, A&P, and Piggly Wiggly), the First Citizens Trust (later Ohio National Bank), a stationer, barber shop, and pharmacy. It remains the nucleus of Grandview's commercial district. Casto, once described as "the man who changed the shopping habits of the free world," also built the Town and Country Shopping Center in Whitehall and was a dominant figure in retail commercial development in the Midwest for much of the 20th century.
Address
1279 Grandview Avenue
Grandview Heights, OH 43212
Location
1279 Grandview Avenue
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.983809, Longitude: -83.044961.
Google map: