Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 32-25 Birthplace of the Veterans of Foreign Wars [6]

  • Birthplace of the VFW Birthplace of the VFW
  • 32-25 32-25
  • 32-25 Veterans of Foreign Wars 9/7/13 32-25 Veterans of Foreign Wars 9/7/13
  • 32-25 Veterans of Foreign Wars 9/7/13 32-25 Veterans of Foreign Wars 9/7/13
  • 32-25 Marker 9-17-09 32-25 Marker 9-17-09
  • 32-25 Regimental Colors of the 17th Infantry, Ohio National Guard 32-25 Regimental Colors of the 17th Infantry, Ohio National Guard
Title, side A
Birthplace of the Veterans of Foreign Wars
Text, side A
On the evening of September 29, 1899, thirteen recently returned veterans of the Spanish-American War met in a tailor shop that once stood on this site. These men, all veterans of the Columbus-based 17th Infantry Regiment that had fought in Cuba, shared their memories of the conflict, honored their fallen comrades, and discussed issues of concern to all foreign service veterans. The organization that they formed that night, the American Veterans of Foreign Service, was the nucleus of a nationwide organization that became the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) in 1914. The oldest continuing national organization for veterans' affairs, the VFW traces its birth to this site in 1899.
Address
286 E. Main Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Location
On the N side of Main Street between S 5th Street and S Grant Avenue
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.956592, Longitude: -82.993950.
Google map: