Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 118-25 A Brief History of Eastmoor [8]

  • 118-25 Cathy Nelson Speaking at Dedication 118-25 Cathy Nelson Speaking at Dedication
  • 118-25 Marker 118-25 Marker
  • 118-25 Marker 2 118-25 Marker 2
  • 118-25 Installing Marker 118-25 Installing Marker
  • 118-25 Marker in field 118-25 Marker in field
  • 118-25 Onlookers 118-25 Onlookers
  • 118-25 #118-25 Eastmoor Polo Field back 118-25 #118-25 Eastmoor Polo Field back
  • 118-25 #118-25 Eastmoor Polo Field front 118-25 #118-25 Eastmoor Polo Field front
Title, side A
A Brief History of Eastmoor
Title, side B
Eastmoor Polo Field
Text, side A
In 1798, Articles of Confederation Congress provided land to British Canadians who lost property because of loyalty to American revolutionaries during the American War of Independence (1775-1783). This land was part of the Refugee Tract and the present-day Truro Township. In 1850, Henry Stanbery, first Attorney General of Ohio, purchased a portion of this land. In 1923, Charles Johnson bought a section of this land and had it platted as the Eastmoor Addition by the Jennings-Lawrence Company with the polo field at the center. Eastmoor has houses ranging in age from the 1920s to the early 21st century, including Lustron homes built after WWII.
Text, side B
This polo field was the centerpiece of an equestrian community developed by Charles Johnson in the early 1920s. The Eastmoor Polo Club played on this field until the facilities were destroyed by fire. The fire plus the rapid growth of Eastmoor's residential community, caused the club to be relocated to the Rocky Fork Hunt Club, established in 1925 exclusively for the Eastmoor Polo Club. The Eastmoor polo field, commonly known as Virginia Lee Circle, was named for Virginia Smith and Lee Huntington as a wedding gift from Charles Johnson. The mounted polo player, on granite stones at Eastmoor's entrances, is a replica of the mounted polo player on the original sign.
Address
Across from 215 S. Virginialee Rd.
Columbus, OH 43209
Location
Virginia Lee Circle in the center of the community of Eastmoor
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.966932, Longitude: -82.918444.
Google map: