Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 117-25 A.B. Graham and the 4-H Movement [4]

  • 117-25 Marker - Courtsey of Kelly Lavelle 117-25 Marker - Courtsey of Kelly Lavelle
  • 117-25 Marker - Courtsey of Kelly Lavelle 117-25 Marker - Courtsey of Kelly Lavelle
  • 117-25 Marker - Courtsey of Kelly Lavelle 117-25 Marker - Courtsey of Kelly Lavelle
  • 117-25 Marker and Jim & Gerry Graham - Courtsey of Kelly Lavelle 117-25 Marker and Jim & Gerry Graham - Courtsey of Kelly Lavelle
Title, side A
A.B. Graham and the 4-H Movement
Title, side B
Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center
Text, side A
In 1902, Albert Belmont Graham (1868-1960), a school teacher and superintendent, established the Boys and Girls Agricultural Experiment Club in Springfield, Ohio. Graham believed in learning by doing, a concept at the core of 4-H, which stands for Head, Heart, Hands, and Health. In 1905, Graham became the first Superintendent of Agricultural Extension at The Ohio State University and he brought the idea of 4-H with him. 4-H is in all 50 states and over 70 countries, and more than 7 million members enroll annually. One in six Ohioans have been members.
Text, side B
Dedicated in 2008, the Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center is the first campus building for 4-H in the United States and the first "green" building and Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certified facility on The Ohio State University campus. At the time of construction, the building represented state-of-the-art "green" design, from the use of energy-conserving and recycled materials to extensive use of natural light. In addition to the lead contributions by Nationwide Insurance Foundation, and Ohio Farm Bureau Federation, the 4-H Center was built with gifts from over 3,800 donors.
Address
The Ohio State University Columbus Campus, 2201 Fred Taylor Drive
Columbus, OH
Location
GPS Coordinates 40.00830N and -83.02841W
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.008105, Longitude: -83.028123.
Google map: