Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Franklin County / 108-25 The Interurban Depot [7]

  • 108-25 Side A 108-25 Side A
  • 108-25 Side B 108-25 Side B
  • 108-25 Interurban Station 108-25 Interurban Station
  • 108-25 Interurban Station 108-25 Interurban Station
  • 108-25 Interurban Station Baggage Cart and Restored Freight Ramp 108-25 Interurban Station Baggage Cart and Restored Freight Ramp
  • 108-25 #108-25 The Interurban Depot front 108-25 #108-25 The Interurban Depot front
  • 108-25 #108-25 The Interurban Depot back 108-25 #108-25 The Interurban Depot back
Title, side A
The Interurban Depot
Text, side A
Erected in 1905 by the Scioto Valley Traction Company, this station served as a terminal for passenger and freight service as part of an electric railway that connected Canal Winchester with neighboring towns in central Ohio. Known as the interurban, its arrival signaled the end of the gaslight era in the village. Regular service was maintained from 1904-1930 when improved roads and affordable automobiles rendered the system obsolete. [continued on other side]
Text, side B
[continued from other side] This historical marker stands in the original path of the interurban track that once ran parallel to the station along the north side of the Ohio and Erie Canal. Direct current from the "third rail" provided power to the interurban trolley cars to achieve speeds in excess of 60 miles per hour. Passengers could purchase a ticket to ride from here south to Lancaster or north to Columbus via Obetz Junction where a transfer could take travelers southwest as far as Chillicothe.
Address
Behind 10 S High St
Canal Winchester, OH 43110
Location
Located behind the buildings at the SW corner of W. Waterloo and S. High Streets at the Depot
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.842627, Longitude: -82.806333.
Google map: