Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Fayette County / 7-24 Old Washington Cemetery [1]

  • 7-24 Washington Cemetery 7-24 Washington Cemetery
Title, side A
Old Washington Cemetery
Text, side A
Washington Court House was founded in 1810 by American Revolutionary War veterans from the state of Virginia. They also established Washington Cemetery in 1810 and located it in what was originally the southern part of the town. With the coming of the railroad, the cemetery's size was reduced to what is now approximately half an acre of land containing one hundred and twelve headstones. One of the prominent people buried in the cemetery is Judge Wade Loofborough, known for his interest in the utopian socialist society called Fourierism. He purchased land in Clermont County to establish the society, but it failed. Loofborough eventually became a respected judge and lawyer in Fayette County. Other distinguished people buried here include veterans of the American Revolution and the War of 1812.
Address
E East St ( intersection of East Street and the railroad right of way)
Washington Court House, OH 43160
Location
Old Washington Cemetery
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.533717, Longitude: -83.441183.
Google map: