Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Fayette County / 4-24 Soldiers' Row [6]

Title, side A
Soldiers' Row
Text, side A
In 1884 the Ohio General Assembly authorized "the burial of the body of any honorably discharged ex-union soldier, sailor or marine of this state who shall hereafter die without leaving means sufficient to defray funeral expenses." Permanent government-issued headstones have been provided to veterans since the late 19th century. Between 1884 and the 1930s, Washington Cemetery buried 47 white soldiers (including 15unknown) and 35 African-American soldiers. These veterans served in the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, and WWI. They are remembered for the sacrifices they made. In the fall of 2001, the cemetery underwent significant renovations, in which students of the Washington Senior High School Research History program aided in identifying the buried soldiers and restoring and replacing the gravestones. Here in Soldiers' Row, the words of local United States Colored Troops veteran, Albert Bird, echo centuries later: "We have suffered to save the country; we ought to be remembered."
Address
1741 Washington Avenue
Washington Court House, OH 43160
Location
E side of Washington Cemetery
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.538408, Longitude: -83.415343.
Google map: