Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hamilton County / 77-31 Eckstein School 1915-1958 [5]

  • 77-31 Eckstein School 77-31 Eckstein School
  • 77-31 Eckstein School 77-31 Eckstein School
  • 77-31 Eckstein School 77-31 Eckstein School
  • 77-31 Eckstein School 77-31 Eckstein School
  • 77-31 Eckstein School 77-31 Eckstein School
Title, side A
Eckstein School 1915-1958
Text, side A
Eckstein Elementary School operated on this site from 1915 to 1958, serving Glendale's Negro children from Kindergarten through eighth grade. The school was named in honor of Eleanor Eckstein, who taught the children at various locations in the village during the time of segregation in America. Upon completing eighth grade, Eckstein School's students were integrated with their white counterparts in grades nine through twelve at Congress Avenue School. The Eckstein School building evolved from a single family dwelling into its present structure through a series of expansions, the last of which was the addition of the gymnasium in 1928. In the mid-1950s Glendale became a part of the Princeton School District. A new consolidated high school opened in 1958, the Congress Avenue School became Glendale Elementary, and Eckstein was closed. This commemorative text was composed by alumni of the Eckstein School.
Address
42 Washington Ave
Glendale, OH 45246
Location
Eckstein School
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.276480, Longitude: -84.469880.
Google map: