Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hamilton County / 62-31 Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati [1]

  • 62-31 The Marker 62-31 The Marker
Title, side A
Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati
Title, side B
NULL
Text, side A
Founded by Saint Elizabeth Bayley Seton in Maryland in 1809, the Sisters of Charity arrived in Cincinnati in 1829 to open a school and an orphanage, becoming the first permanent establishment of Catholic sisters in Ohio. In 1852 the group separated from its Maryland roots to form a diocesan community and called themselves the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati. The sisters later served as nurses in the Civil War as well as operated and staffed a number of Catholic elementary and secondary schools. As membership grew, their ministries and educational, health care, and social service institutions expanded in Cincinnati and elsewhere, including out of state. They include the Good Samaritan Hospital, College of Mount St. Joseph, St. Joseph Infant and Maternity Home, Santa Maria Social Service Agency, and Seton High School in Cincinnati and Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton. Mount St. Joseph has served as the motherhouse of the Sisters of Charity since 1884.
Address
5900 Delhi Road
Mount St. Joseph, OH 45051
Location
5900 Delhi Road