Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hamilton County / 39-31 The Betts House, 1804 [5]

Title, side A
The Betts House, 1804
Text, side A
The oldest building in Cincinnati's basin area, the Betts House exemplifies a national trend on the expanding frontier of impermanent log and frame structures giving way to more permanent brick architecture. It is the earliest surviving brick building in the city. During Cincinnati's period of settlement in the early 1800s, the William and Phebe Betts family established a brickyard here that supplied building materials for the rapidly growing frontier city. The Betts House lends its name to the Betts-Longworth Historic District. Established in 1983, the district represents the last nineteenth century remnant of Cincinnati's lower West End and surrounds the older Betts House with tall, narrow mid-and late-nineteenth century buildings. The Betts house is oriented to the cardinal directions, rather than to the city's slightly skewed grid.
Address
416 Clark Street
Cincinnati, OH 45203
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.107675, Longitude: -84.522106.
Google map: