Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hamilton County / 38-31 Elizabeth Blackwell [6]

Title, side A
Elizabeth Blackwell
Text, side A
Born in Bristol, England, Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910), moved to Cincinnati in 1838. Blackwell applied to several medical schools before being accepted to Geneva Medical College in New York. In 1849, she received a medical degree, becoming the first fully accredited female doctor. In New York, Blackwell provided free outpatient care to women and children, and in 1857 opened a full-scale hospital, the New York Infirmary for Women and Children. As a lecturer in England and the founder of the Women's Medical College at the Infirmary, Dr. Blackwell was a pioneer in opening the medical profession to women.
Address
898 Walnut Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Location
On the wall of the YWCA of Greater Cincinnati, on the Walnut Street side at 9th Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.1055430, Longitude: -84.5123000.
Google map: