Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hamilton County / 38-31 Elizabeth Blackwell [6]

  • 38-31 Marker 38-31 Marker
  • 38-31 Detail around building entrance 38-31 Detail around building entrance
  • 38-31 Marker - Courtsey of Chuck Lane 38-31 Marker - Courtsey of Chuck Lane
  • 38-31 Marker - Courtsey of Chuck Lane 38-31 Marker - Courtsey of Chuck Lane
  • 38-31 YWCA-Cincinnati 38-31 YWCA-Cincinnati
  • 38-31 YWCA Building Cincinnati 38-31 YWCA Building Cincinnati
Title, side A
Elizabeth Blackwell
Text, side A
Born in Bristol, England, Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910), moved to Cincinnati in 1838. Blackwell applied to several medical schools before being accepted to Geneva Medical College in New York. In 1849, she received a medical degree, becoming the first fully accredited female doctor. In New York, Blackwell provided free outpatient care to women and children, and in 1857 opened a full-scale hospital, the New York Infirmary for Women and Children. As a lecturer in England and the founder of the Women's Medical College at the Infirmary, Dr. Blackwell was a pioneer in opening the medical profession to women.
Address
898 Walnut Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Location
YWCA OF Greater Cincinnati, 898 Walnut St.
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.105690, Longitude: -84.512320.
Google map: