Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hamilton County / 23-31 The Cincinnati Observatory [20]

  • 23-31 Obersvatory main building and marker 23-31 Obersvatory main building and marker
  • 23-31 The second building and the marker 23-31 The second building and the marker
  • 23-31 Obersvatory second building 23-31 Obersvatory second building
  • 23-31 The observatory main building 23-31 The observatory main building
  • 23-31 A sneak peek inside the observatory main building 23-31 A sneak peek inside the observatory main building
  • 23-31 Marker 23-31 Marker
  • 23-31 Cornerstone 23-31 Cornerstone
  • 23-31 Cornerstone Sign 23-31 Cornerstone Sign
  • 23-31 Founder of the observatory 23-31 Founder of the observatory
  • 23-31 Portrait of JQ Adams at the observatory 23-31 Portrait of JQ Adams at the observatory
  • 23-31 Telescope 23-31 Telescope
  • 23-31 Marker 23-31 Marker
  • 23-31 Marker other side 23-31 Marker other side
  • 23-31 Wooden telescope in old building 23-31 Wooden telescope in old building
  • 23-31 Observatory from street 23-31 Observatory from street
Title, side A
The Cincinnati Observatory
Title, side B
NULL
Text, side A
Prompted by response to his popular lectures, astronomer Ormsby MacKnight Mitchel (1809-1862) founded the Cincinnati Astronomical Society (CAS) in 1842. With CAS funding, Mitchel traveled to Munich, Bavaria, to acquire the optical elements for what became the world's second largest refractor telescope. In 1843 former president John Quincy Adams laid the cornerstone of the observatory building, located upon the hill since known as Mount Adams. The Cincinnati Observatory was completed and opened for study in 1845. Mitchel, who died in service during the Civil War, was among the first to popularize astronomy in America. The telescope he brought to Cincinnati remains in daily use, the oldest such instrument in the United States.
Text, side B
As second director of the Cincinnati Observatory, meteorologist Dr. Cleveland Abbe (1838-1916) inaugurated daily weather predictions based on telegraph reports. His work prompted the formation of the U.S. Weather Bureau, forerunner of the National Weather Service. After the Cincinnati Observatory was transferred to the University of Cincinnati, it was relocated to this site in 1873. Five directors charted its course for the next one hundred years. Under Dr. Paul Herget (1908-1981), a pioneer in the electronic tracking of satellites, the observatory was designated the International Astronomical Union Minor Planet Center in 1947. In 1978 the University of Cincinnati's Physics Department assumed operation of the observatory, and in 1999 the University transferred it to The Cincinnati Observatory Center. This organization preserves the traditions of the oldest professional observatory in the United States.
Address
3489 Observatory Place
Cincinnati, OH
Location
3489 Observatory Place
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.138238, Longitude: -84.422240.
Google map: