Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Greene County / 4-29 McDonald Stone Quarry [4]

  • 4-29 29-4 McDonald Stone Quarry - Xenia 7-24-14 4-29 29-4 McDonald Stone Quarry - Xenia 7-24-14
  • 4-29 McDonald Stone Quarry = Marker 4-29 McDonald Stone Quarry = Marker
  • 4-29 McDonald Stone Quarry = House 4-29 McDonald Stone Quarry = House
  • 4-29 McDonald Stone Quarry = Quarry Location 4-29 McDonald Stone Quarry = Quarry Location
Title, side A
McDonald Stone Quarry
Text, side A
In 1849, each state in the Union was invited to furnish a block of native stone for the construction of the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C. Geologists selected stone from this quarry, then owned by Wilford McDonald, as typical of the best quality in Ohio. The dimensions of the limestone block used in the Washington Monument, which was cut and polished by Daniel Bunnell of Xenia, are 6 feet x 3 feet x 9 inches. The inscription on the block of stone reads as follows: The State of Ohio/ The Memory of Washington / and / The Union of the States / Sunto Perpetus
Location
U.S. 68 South through Xenia, 3 ? miles past Xenia, left on Stone Road, 1 mile down Stone Road, on left hand side, 50 feet from road.