Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Greene County / 11-29 Collins School [8]

  • 11-29 Marker Side A 11-29 Marker Side A
  • 11-29 Marker Side B 11-29 Marker Side B
  • 11-29 Collins School Marker - Front 11-29 Collins School Marker - Front
  • 11-29 Collins School Marker - Back 11-29 Collins School Marker - Back
  • 11-29 Collins School 11-29 Collins School
  • 11-29 Collins School Plaque 11-29 Collins School Plaque
  • 11-29 Collins School 11-29 Collins School
  • 11-29 Collins school 11-29 Collins school
Title, side A
Collins School
Text, side A
In 1854, Samuel and Rebecca McClellan Collins deeded 1.28 acres to Beavercreek Township, Greene County, for the purpose of building a schoolhouse. The first two schoolhouses were constructed of stone with fireplaces for heat. Collins neighborhood children in first through eighth grade were educated in the present red brick building until 1944, when decreased enrollment forced Xenia Township to close the school. Virgil and Helen Bryson Brantley, great-granddaughter of Samuel and Rebecca Collins, purchased the school property in 1982 and began the restoration of the vandalized and deteriorated schoolhouse. The pony/coal shed and privies were rebuilt on their foundations.
Address
2810 W. Enon Road
Xenia, OH 45385
Location
2810 West Enon Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.764907, Longitude: -83.950410.
Google map: