Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Geauga County / 11-28 The Burton Village Historic District [9]

  • 11-28 Marker - Side A 11-28 Marker - Side A
  • 11-28 Marker - Side B 11-28 Marker - Side B
  • 11-28 First Telephone Station Marker 11-28 First Telephone Station Marker
  • 11-28 Historical survey benchmark near marker 11-28 Historical survey benchmark near marker
  • 11-28 Lob cabin replica 11-28 Lob cabin replica
  • 11-28 Karen1962 11-28 Karen1962
  • 11-28 side 1 11-28 side 1
  • 11-28 Side 2 11-28 Side 2
  • 11-28 the area 11-28 the area
Title, side A
The Burton Village Historic District
Text, side A
In recognition of its noteworthy representation of the history, culture, and architecture of the Western Reserve, Burton Village's Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The Historic District, an area of approximately 20 acres surrounding the Village Green and along streets at the north end of the Green, includes 15 buildings of historical significance built between 1815 and 1891. Preserved within the District are commercial and public buildings and private dwellings that reflect the cultural and architectural development of a village of the Western Reserve of Ohio during the 19th century. Buildings in the predominant architectural styles of the 19th century are all represented in the Historic District, including Western Reserve, Greek Revival, Second Empire, Italianate, and Queen Anne. [Continued on other side]
Text, side B
[Continued from other side] The Village of Burton epitomizes the beginning of the settlement of the Western Reserve and today maintains the unique charm and history of its earliest roots. On September 16, 1873, then member of Congress and later president of the United States, James A. Garfield delivered a message to the Historical Society of Geauga County meeting in Burton in which he said, "There are townships on the Western Reserve which are more thoroughly New England in character and spirit than most of the towns of the New England of today. Cut off as they were from the metropolitan life that has gradually been molding and changing the spirit of New England, they preserved here in the wilderness the characteristics of New England as it was when they left it at the beginning of the century."
Address
Village Green
Burton, OH 44021
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.282210, Longitude: -81.087080.
Google map: