Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Gallia County / 5-27 Ewington Academy [2]

  • 5-27 Ewington Marker 5-27 Ewington Marker
  • 5-27 Ewington Academy 5-27 Ewington Academy
Title, side A
Ewington Academy
Text, side A
The Ewington Citizens' Literary Institute purchased this site and sponsored the construction of Ewington Academy which opened in 1859. The building, designed by George Ewing, was financed by popular subscription with much labor and materials donated. It provided high school level education to approximately 60 students each year. It ceased operation as an academy in 1901 and then served as an elementary school until about 1947. Ewington Academy was listed on the National Register of Historic Places September, 1982.
Address
On Ewington Road
Ewington, OH 45627
Location
Near 176 Ewington Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.009783, Longitude: -82.354767.
Google map: