Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Gallia County / 15-27 The Lambert Land Settlement [3]

  • 15-27 Marker side B 15-27 Marker side B
  • 15-27 Close up of map on Side B notice that the historical marker location is on the map 15-27 Close up of map on Side B notice that the historical marker location is on the map
  • 15-27 The Lambert Land Settlement Marker 15-27 The Lambert Land Settlement Marker
Title, side A
The Lambert Land Settlement
Text, side A
In November 1843 former slave Frank Lambert, along with 29 other former slaves, purchased 265.5 acres of land in Morgan Township. These African American settlers had once belonged to Charles Lambert Jr. of Bedford County, Virginia, but had been freed upon his death in 1839. His last will and testament also stipulated that the freed slaves be given horses, oxen, wagons, clothing, and financial support to help them relocate to a state chosen upon advise of the will's executors. They chose Ohio and specifically Gallia County. Shortly after the former slaves established their settlement in Section 32, they began using their authentic surnames, which included the Burks, Jones, Leftwiches, Millers, Randolphs, Reeds, Sales, Minnis, and Wingfields. By 1845 several of this group helped to establish the Morgan Bethel Church where a memorial was dedicated in 2002. (continued on other side)
Text, side B
(continued from other side) Many descendants of these former slave families lived on the Lambert Land Settlement for several generations, but most had moved by 1960 causing a real estate tax delinquency. In 1969, the county sold the property, ending the Lambert Land story. [Map Cast}
Address
Junction of St Rt 160 & Cty Rd C-123 (Thompson Rd)
Morgan Township, OH 45631
Coordinates
Latitude: 38.967284, Longitude: -82.303358.
Google map: