Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Gallia County / 14-27 Gallia County, Gallipolis and The Ohio River [5]

  • 14-27 Gallia County Marker 14-27 Gallia County Marker
  • 14-27 The marker with #13-27 in the background 14-27 The marker with #13-27 in the background
  • 14-27 Ohio River at Gallipolis 14-27 Ohio River at Gallipolis
  • 14-27 First Post Office in Gallipolis 14-27 First Post Office in Gallipolis
  • 14-27 Gallia County Courthouse 14-27 Gallia County Courthouse
Title, side A
Gallia County, Gallipolis and The Ohio River
Text, side A
The Ohio River, the southeast border of Gallia County, played a significant role in the development of Gallipolis and Gallia County. One of the state's first thoroughfares, this waterway enabled pioneers to settle in what was known as the Northwest Territory. On October 17, 1790, approximately 500 French immigrants arrived in Gallipolis, traveling by flatboats from Pittsburgh, and settled in log cabins in what is now City Park, in the heart of Gallipolis. This established the second oldest permanent settlement in the territory. The settlers relied on the River for communication, commerce, and transportation, and the River brought postal service to Gallipolis in 1794. As local business and river trade developed in the 1800s, Gallipolis became a thriving port. The scenic Ohio River is an important inland waterway, providing transportation for many commodities between major cities. The River also provides recreational opportunities for both visitors and residents, including water sports, fishing, and boating.
Address
1st Ave
Gallipolis, OH 45631
Location
Between the City Park and the Ohio River
Coordinates
Latitude: 38.806200, Longitude: -82.205400.
Google map: