Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Fairfield County / 7-23 Junction of The Ohio Erie and Lancaster Lateral Canals [6]

  • 7-23 Canal Junction Marker at Carroll 7-23 Canal Junction Marker at Carroll
  • 7-23 Junction of The Ohio Erie and Lancaster Lateral Canals 7-23 Junction of The Ohio Erie and Lancaster Lateral Canals
  • 7-23 Marker Site 7-23 Marker Site
  • 7-23 Mural 7-23 Mural
  • 7-23 #7-23 Junction of The Ohio Erie and Lancaster Lateral Canals back 7-23 #7-23 Junction of The Ohio Erie and Lancaster Lateral Canals back
  • 7-23 #7-23 Junction of The Ohio Erie and Lancaster Lateral Canals front with mural 7-23 #7-23 Junction of The Ohio Erie and Lancaster Lateral Canals front with mural
Title, side A
Junction of The Ohio Erie and Lancaster Lateral Canals
Text, side A
Canals were an important means of transportation when Carroll was founded in 1829 by William Tong and his brother Oliver, who chose this site because it was where the proposed intersection of the Lancaster Lateral Canal and Ohio-Erie Canal would be constructed. This is the only site in Fairfield County where two canals met and came to be known simply as "the junction" by local residents. Canals became obsolete with the emergence of railroads and the last canal boat passed through Carroll in 1897.
Address
Center Street
Carroll, OH 43112
Location
N corner of Center and Canal Streets, in front of mural
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.799400, Longitude: -82.701813.
Google map: