Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Erie County / 18-22 Old Sandusky Post Office [5]

  • 18-22 Old Post Office 18-22 Old Post Office
  • 18-22 Marker 18-22 Marker
  • 18-22 Old Sandusky Post Office 18-22 Old Sandusky Post Office
  • 18-22 The Old Sandusky Post Office (Now a Merry-Go-Round Museum) 18-22 The Old Sandusky Post Office (Now a Merry-Go-Round Museum)
  • 18-22 The Old Sandusky Post Office (Now a Merry-Go-Round Museum) 18-22 The Old Sandusky Post Office (Now a Merry-Go-Round Museum)
Title, side A
Old Sandusky Post Office
Text, side A
This U.S. Post Office building, Sandusky's third, opened in 1927, replacing a smaller building at Columbus Avenue and Market Street. It is notable for its fine Neoclassical-style architecture and its unusual curved portico. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. For sixty years it served as Sandusky's business center, where merchants shipped and received goods and banks transferred money. During this time it also housed local offices for several federal agencies, including U.S. Customs, the National Weather Service, armed forces recruiting, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The U.S. Geological Survey disk embedded in the front steps serves as a benchmark for surveyors and scientists. Closed in 1987, the historic Sandusky Post Office building reopened as a museum in 1990.
Address
301 W. Washington
Sandusky, OH 44870
Location
301 W. Washington