Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Delaware County / 14-21 The Union Land Company and the Case Family [9]

  • 14-21 This walker takes time to visit the Pool Family Gravestones on the Overlook Trail. 14-21 This walker takes time to visit the Pool Family Gravestones on the Overlook Trail.
  • 14-21 These runners enjoy the trails at Highbanks Metro Park. 14-21 These runners enjoy the trails at Highbanks Metro Park.
  • 14-21 The Marker has caught the attention of these runners after their workout. 14-21 The Marker has caught the attention of these runners after their workout.
  • 14-21 The Union Land Company and the Case Family (Side A) 14-21 The Union Land Company and the Case Family (Side A)
  • 14-21 The Olentangy River Road (Side B) 14-21 The Olentangy River Road (Side B)
  • 14-21 The Olentangy River Road (Sign) 14-21 The Olentangy River Road (Sign)
  • 14-21 The Olentangy River Road back 14-21 The Olentangy River Road back
  • 14-21 #14-21 The Union Land Company and the Case Family front 14-21 #14-21 The Union Land Company and the Case Family front
  • 14-21 The Union Land Company and the Case Family Marker 14-21 The Union Land Company and the Case Family Marker
Title, side A
The Union Land Company and the Case Family
Title, side B
The Olentangy River Road
Text, side A
Congress established the United States Military District in 1796 by an act to provide bounty land for Revolutionary War officers and soldiers. District lands consisted of 2.6 million acres in twelve Ohio counties, including Delaware County. The Union Land Company, organized by James Kilbourne of Connecticut in 1806, was formed to purchase Military District land. Kilbourne purchased 4,000 acres in southeast Liberty Township, Delaware County for $7,000, and, in turn, sold the land to 26 Union Land Company members for $2.00 per acre. Five members were from the Case family, and they purchased 950 acres--Ambrose, George, Jonathan, Seth, and Silas. George and Seth were Revolutionary War veterans who did not claim their bounty lands. George purchased lot 11, a part of which is in northwest Highbanks Park today, and Seth purchased 300 acres north of this site. By 1849 the Case family owned over 1,000 acres.
Text, side B
Delaware County was organized in February 1808. Four months later county commissioners authorized an act to build a county road from Columbus to Delaware and ordered it to be on the west side of the Whetstone River (later renamed the Olentangy River) "as near the Whetstone River as the ground & angles of the river" would allow. Azariah Root surveyed this route in August. In 1824 James Kilbourne was authorized to survey a state road from Columbus to Sandusky. In Liberty Township this state road followed the route along the Whetstone River that was laid out in 1808. The road was not improved with gravel until 1882 when lot owners were assessed $17,000 to pay for the improvement. In 1998, a 10.5 mile stretch of Olentangy River valley, including Olentangy River Road or State Route 315, across the river from this site, was designated the Olentangy Heritage State Scenic Byway.
Address
9466 Columbus Pike (U.S. Route 23N)
Lewis Center, OH 43035
Location
Highbanks Metropolitan Park - Big Meadows Picnic Area
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.154952, Longitude: -83.043836.
Google map: