Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Delaware County / 11-21 Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate [2]

  • 11-21 Closer view of marker 11-21 Closer view of marker
  • 11-21 Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate Marker 11-21 Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate Marker
Title, side A
Radnor Cemetery Lych Gate
Text, side A
Built in 1910, this lych gate was designed by local architect William Robert Powell to commemorate early settlers of Radnor who emigrated from Wales. Traditional in England and Wales, lych gates are covered gateways used to shelter coffins until clergymen arrive for burial. The Radnor lych gate has two openings: a larger one designed for horse-drawn hearse and a smaller one for mourners. Powell added the tower to resemble a church steeple for a more ecclesiastical style. Constructed of stone from the local Meredith quarry, the gate features raised joints and oak gates to close the entrance.
Address
Intersection of St. Rt 203 & Radnor Rd.
Radnor, OH 43066
Location
Radnor Cemetery Entrance
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.384352, Longitude: -83.149627.
Google map: