Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 99-18 Woodvale Union Cemetery [4]

  • 99-18 William F Evans 99-18 William F Evans
  • 99-18 mark ball 99-18 mark ball
  • 99-18 Marker Back 99-18 Marker Back
  • 99-18 Marker Front 99-18 Marker Front

Marker #99-18 has been reported damaged and awaiting repair.

Title, side A
Woodvale Union Cemetery
Text, side A
Woodvale Cemetery was established in the mid-1800s, in Middleburgh Township, Ohio. The oldest marked grave holds Fred G. Klink (1835-1858), whose family donated a half acre of land for burials. In 1876, Frank M. Stearns (1832-1911) suggested the unnamed cemetery be called Woodvale, after the wooded vale beside it. In 1908, a fire destroyed the caretaker's house and many cemetery records. Woodvale became a non-profit, union cemetery in 1931, owned by Berea and the Village of Middleburg Hts. and covering 35 acres at 7535 Engle Road. Pioneer families buried here: Fowles, Kraft, Lovejoy, Sprague, and Stearns. Also buried here: John Baldwin (1799-1884) founder of Baldwin University and James Wallace (1878-1953) founder of German Wallace College (merged in 1913 to become Baldwin Wallace College) (Continued other side)
Text, side B
(Continued from other side) Other notable burials here include William Engle (1814-1897), a constable, township trustee and school director who built the township's first log house in 1848; Veterans of every U.S. war and some conflicts including Second Lt. Albert E. Baesel (1890-1918), a WW I soldier from the 148th Infantry Division who received the Congressional Medal of Honor; Children from Berea's "Home for Children," as far back as 1890. Graves were dug by hand by caretakers, including one-armed Fred Beavis (1907-1989), until equipment was used in 1955. In 2010, Woodvale covered 50 acres, bordered by Cleveland Metroparks, Big Creek Pkwy., Fowles and Engle Roads. A Board of Trustees of both cities governs the Cemetery.
Address
7535 Engle Rd
Middleburg Heights, OH 44130
Location
Located at the NE corner of Fowles Road and Engle Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.359435, Longitude: -81.825180.
Google map: