Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 96-18 Olmsted Falls L.S. & M.S. Depot [6]

  • 96-18 96-18
  • 96-18 96-18
  • 96-18 96-18
  • 96-18 96-18
  • 96-18 Depot 96-18 Depot
  • 96-18 Marker 96-18 Marker
Title, side A
Olmsted Falls L.S. & M.S. Depot
Text, side A
The Lakeshore and Michigan Southern Railroad built the Olmsted Falls Depot in 1876 as a part of major improvements made along the line between Cleveland and Toledo. The depot replaced a smaller flag stop station in Olmsted Falls at the Columbia Road railroad crossing. By 1909, the depot was moved from Mapleway Drive on rollers by a locomotive to this site to be closer to the heart of the village. In the early 20th century, ten trains a day stopped here. One was the "Plug," which took commuters between Olmsted Falls and Cleveland. By mid-century, cars and planes had largely replaced train travel. The last regularly scheduled train stopped here in 1949 and service ended completely in 1960. The depot became the home of the Cuyahoga Valley and Westshore Model Railroad Club in 1977 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
Address
25802 Garfield Rd
Olmsted Falls, OH 44138
Location
Olmsted Falls LS & M.S. Depot
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.224980, Longitude: -81.543080.
Google map: