Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 9-18 North Olmsted-First Settlement and Schoolhouse [5]

  • 9-18 The schoolhouse was moved to Frostville, located at the corner of Lewis and Cedar Point roads.  The was no marker as of 6-13-2007 9-18 The schoolhouse was moved to Frostville, located at the corner of Lewis and Cedar Point roads. The was no marker as of 6-13-2007
  • 9-18 Sign at entrance of Frostville 9-18 Sign at entrance of Frostville
  • 9-18 Marker 9-18 Marker
  • 9-18 Marker 9-18 Marker
  • 9-18 Marker 9-18 Marker
Title, side A
North Olmsted-First Settlement and Schoolhouse
Text, side A
David Stearns, the first permanent settler, built a log cabin near this site on the "ridge" (Lorain Road) in 1816. Stearns was given this land by his father, Elijah, who had bought 1,002 acres from the Olmsted family. This area of North Olmsted was first called Kingston, renamed Lennox in 1823, and Olmsted in 1829. In 1827, Stearns donated his cabin to the community to be used as the first schoolhouse. In 1852 the cabin was moved to Butternut and Dover Center and continued to serve as a school.
Location
Lorain Road between Stearns and Bretton Ridge Development