Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 85-18 Springvale Ballroom [10]

  • 85-18 Springvale Marker Front 85-18 Springvale Marker Front
  • 85-18 Springvale Marker Back 85-18 Springvale Marker Back
  • 85-18 Springvale Ballroom 85-18 Springvale Ballroom
  • 85-18 Springvale Ballroom Marker 85-18 Springvale Ballroom Marker
  • 85-18 Springvale Ballroom Marker 85-18 Springvale Ballroom Marker
  • 85-18 Springvale Ballroom 85-18 Springvale Ballroom
  • 85-18 Ballroom 85-18 Ballroom
  • 85-18 Marker Back 85-18 Marker Back
  • 85-18 Marker Back 85-18 Marker Back
  • 85-18 Marker Front 85-18 Marker Front
Title, side A
Springvale Ballroom
Title, side B
Springvale Ballroom
Text, side A
Springvale Ballroom is located on part of the one hundred and forty acre tract that English immigrant John Biddulph bought in 1840. Fred Biddulph, John Biddulph's grandson, was born near this site in 1887. Fred and his wife, Clara, built the five thousand square foot Springvale Ballroom. On May 19, 1923, they paid fifteen dollars for the right to open the dancing pavilion. The first dance at Springvale Ballroom was held on May 23rd. A five hole golf course was added to the property in 1928. Later changes to Springvale included renovation of the ballroom, the addition of a golf office, and an upgrade to a full eighteen hole course.
Text, side B
Ballrooms reached a highpoint of popularity during the 1930s and 1940s, serving as places for social gatherings. During World War II, servicemen on leave paid a nickel a dance at Springvale. The daughter of Fred and Clara Biddulph, Rose, and her husband Bill Scheeff took over the management of Springvale when her brother, George, retired in 1984. Both served as President of the National Ballroom and Entertainers Association, with Bill heading the organization from 1983 to 1985 and Rose presiding from 1992 to 2001. Couples danced in the ballroom to the music of Guy Lombardo's Royal Canadians along with other fine bands. The Ed and Mitzy Waring Dance Company has instructed and performed in Springvale for a number of years. A place of wonderful memories, Springvale is one of the oldest continuing ballrooms in Ohio. The City of North Olmsted purchased the Springvale Ballroom in 1994, saving it from demolition.
Address
5871 Canterbury Road
North Olmsted, OH 44070
Location
Springvale Ballroom & Golf Course, 5871 Canterbury Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.404956, Longitude: -81.912028.
Google map: