Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 61-18 Baldwin University [9]

  • 61-18 Historic Marker 61-18 Historic Marker
  • 61-18 Wheeler Hall 61-18 Wheeler Hall
  • 61-18 Wheeler Hall 61-18 Wheeler Hall
  • 61-18 See Marker #23-18 61-18 See Marker #23-18
  • 61-18 Baldwin University Marker 61-18 Baldwin University Marker
  • 61-18 Marker 61-18 Marker
  • 61-18 Baldwin University 61-18 Baldwin University
  • 61-18 Baldwin University 61-18 Baldwin University
  • 61-18 Baldwin University 61-18 Baldwin University
Title, side A
Baldwin University
Text, side A
In 1845, Baldwin Institute, one of the first schools in the area open to all students regardless of gender, race, or creed, was chartered. The wealth generated by the sandstone and grindstone industries of Berea allowed John Baldwin to found the school. Ten years later, officials rechartered the school and renamed it Baldwin University. By the 1880s, the expanding quarries began to encroach on the original campus of the university, forcing it to relocate. In 1891, ground was broken for the new campus at the corner of Front Street and Bagley Road. Recitation Hall, renamed Wheeler Hall, was the first new building, followed by the Philura Gould Baldwin Memorial Library in 1894. In 1905, through the funding of the Carnegie Foundation, the Ladies Hall, renamed Carnegie Hall, was moved stone by stone to the new campus to serve as the science building. Baldwin University merged with German-Wallace College in 1913 to become Baldwin-Wallace College.
Address
300 Front Street
Berea, OH 44017
Location
300 Front Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.373855, Longitude: -81.853190.
Google map: