Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 48-18 Pomeroy House [6]

  • 48-18 marker 48-18 marker
  • 48-18 The Setting 48-18 The Setting
  • 48-18 The House 48-18 The House
  • 48-18 Another View 48-18 Another View
  • 48-18 Pomeroy House 48-18 Pomeroy House
  • 48-18 Marker 48-18 Marker
Title, side A
Pomeroy House
Text, side A
The Pomeroy House, built from 1847 to 1848, was the home of Alanson Pomeroy and his wife, Kezia. They continued the tradition, known as "Pomeroy Hospitality," that began when Alanson's parents established a tavern in Strongsville. Prominent in the community, Alanson served as township trustee and Justice of the Peace in Strongsville Township, and was a leader in the Congregational Church. Oral tradition holds that the Pomeroy House served as a stop on the Underground Railroad. Runaway slaves were brought from Oberlin, often concealed under bales of hay in wagons, and hidden in the cellar of the house until they could be safely taken to Rocky River. From there, the fugitives boarded ships headed to Canada. The Pomeroy House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was restored in 1979 and opened as Don's Pomeroy House restaurant in 1980.
Address
13664 Pearl Road
Strongsville, OH 44136
Location
13664 Pearl Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.315206, Longitude: -81.835190.
Google map: