Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 43-18 Berea Union Depot [6]

  • 43-18 The Setting 43-18 The Setting
  • 43-18 The Marker 43-18 The Marker
  • 43-18 Berea Union Station - currently a restaurant 43-18 Berea Union Station - currently a restaurant
  • 43-18 Berea Union Station - currently a restaruant 43-18 Berea Union Station - currently a restaruant
  • 43-18 Depot 43-18 Depot
  • 43-18 Marker 43-18 Marker
Title, side A
Berea Union Depot
Text, side A
The Berea Union Depot, a significant hub in the railroad networks of northeast Ohio from the time of its construction in 1876 until its closing in 1958, is an unusual, but well-designed example of Victorian Gothic Architecture. With the development of an expanding stone quarry industry in the area, Berea and its railroad facilities grew rapidly and by the early 1870s developers and townspeople alike called for construction of a new passenger and freight station. When this Berea sandstone station was completed and then dedicated on May 3, 1876, the Cleveland Plain Dealer called the building "the finest facility outside the big cities." From 1958 until 1980, the building remained closed until it began a second life, restored as a restaurant and gathering place.
Address
30 Depot Street
Berea, OH 44017
Location
30 Depot Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.381296, Longitude: -81.853790.
Google map: