Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 36-18 The Village of Glenwillow [8]

  • 36-18 #1- The Setting- Oct '06 36-18 #1- The Setting- Oct '06
  • 36-18 #2- The Marker 36-18 #2- The Marker
  • 36-18 #3- To The Depot 36-18 #3- To The Depot
  • 36-18 #4- The Depot 36-18 #4- The Depot
  • 36-18 #5- Glenwillow Town Center 36-18 #5- Glenwillow Town Center
  • 36-18 The Depot Revisited 36-18 The Depot Revisited
  • 36-18 The Depot Closer 36-18 The Depot Closer
  • 36-18 Marker 36-18 Marker
Title, side A
The Village of Glenwillow
Text, side A
The Village of Glenwillow was developed and has survived over the last century as a rural enclave whose character has been shaped by the Austin Powder Company. Glenwillow began as a company town of the Austin Powder Company, which relocated its explosives factory from Cleveland in 1892. The Falls Junction Depot was originally built in 1883 and located approximately 1/4 mile to the north at the junction of the existing Wheeling and Lake Erie track and a rail line that connected to Chagrin Falls. The Depot was moved to its present location when Austin Powder Company relocated to Glenwillow. Passenger trains on the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway provided Glenwillow residents access to the larger cities of Cleveland, Kent, and Akron, and provided a route for Austin Powder to ship its explosives to mines in southeast Ohio. The Depot, which operated until 1974, is now an important component to the revitalization of the Glenwillow Town Center.
Location
Camp Charlotte Farm, 10104 St Rt 56 E