Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 30-18 Crile Hospital [3]

  • Patients at the Crile Hospital Patients at the Crile Hospital
  • 30-18 off the york road entrance 30-18 off the york road entrance
  • 30-18 Marker 30-18 Marker
Title, side A
Crile Hospital
Text, side A
Crile General Hospital, named for renowned Cleveland surgeon, Dr. George W. Crile, was dedicated at this site on April 21, 1944. Dr. Crile, founder of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, was a brigadier general in the U.S. Army. The $4.5 million hospital covered 153 acres and contained seven miles of corridors linking 87 buildings with 1725 beds. During World War II, hospital staff provided care to 15,000 wounded U.S. soldiers and several hundred German prisoners of war. The hospital became a Veterans Administration Medical Center in 1945. A Nike missile battery was installed on the grounds in 1956 as part of the nation's general defense program. In 1966 the Crile barracks became the Western Campus of Cuyahoga Community College, registering 3,000 students for its fall inaugural semester. The College used the old Crile buildings until the current campus was constructed in 1975.
Address
SW corner of York Road and Moore Drive
Parma, OH 44130
Location
York Road entrance to the Cuyahoga Community College Western Campus
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.368242, Longitude: -81.760080.
Google map: