Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 23-18 Lyceum Square [8]

  • 23-18 Lyceum Square-Berea-1 23-18 Lyceum Square-Berea-1
  • 23-18 Lyceum Square-Site 23-18 Lyceum Square-Site
  • 23-18 Lyceum Square-Obverse 23-18 Lyceum Square-Obverse
  • 23-18 Lyceum Square-Front 23-18 Lyceum Square-Front
  • 23-18 Fall on Lyceum Square 23-18 Fall on Lyceum Square
  • 23-18 23-18
  • 23-18 23-18
  • 23-18 Marker 23-18 Marker
Title, side A
Lyceum Square
Text, side A
On this site the Lyceum Village and the Berea Seminary were established in 1837 by John Baldwin, James Gilruth, Henry O. Sheldon, and Josiah Holbrook. Their vision was to create the first in a connected series of Lyceum Villages. The Villages were designed especially to assist in the education of teachers, promote "scientific" exchanges over the world and thus encourage the study of the works and word of God, and cultivate the spirit of "peace on earth and good will to men." The community, however, declined and in 1842, John Baldwin assumed the indebtedness of $15,000. James Wallace acquired the area. It was owned by the Methodist Children's Home in the 1860s and then sold to German Wallace College in 1866, becoming the original German Wallace College campus.
Address
49 Seminary Street
Berea, OH 44017
Location
49 Seminary Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.367450, Longitude: -81.851850.
Google map: