Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 21-18 Hiram House [11]

  • 21-18 #1- The Setting- Dec '06 21-18 #1- The Setting- Dec '06
  • 21-18 #2- The Marker 21-18 #2- The Marker
  • 21-18 #3- Fresh Air Camp 21-18 #3- Fresh Air Camp
  • 21-18 #4- Education 21-18 #4- Education
  • 21-18 Dedication Ceremony 21-18 Dedication Ceremony
  • 21-18 Marker Inscription 21-18 Marker Inscription
  • 21-18 Marker Site 21-18 Marker Site
  • 21-18 Hiram House Entrance 21-18 Hiram House Entrance
  • 21-18 Hiram House 1 21-18 Hiram House 1
  • 21-18 Hiram House 2 21-18 Hiram House 2
  • 21-18 Marker 21-18 Marker
Title, side A
Hiram House
Text, side A
Hiram House was Ohio's first settlement house and among the earliest in the nation, opening in October 1896 in Cleveland's Whiskey Island neighborhood. Representing the ideals of a late-1800s urban progressive movement, settlement houses provided--through "service, not charity" --health, recreational, and self-development opportunities that were not widely available in this era. Founded by Hiram College divinity graduate George A. Bellamy (1872-1960), Hiram House administered a wide range of social services for people of different ethnic and economic backgrounds. Bellamy established the "Fresh Air Camp" circa 1900; Cleveland industrialist Samuel Mather donated this tract of land in 1903. In continuous operation since its founding, Hiram House has provided outdoor experiences and educational programs for thousands of Ohio children.
Address
33775 Hiram Trail
Moreland Hills, OH 44022
Location
33775 Hiram Trail
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.448873, Longitude: -81.444950.
Google map: