Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 17-18 Dunham Tavern [8]

  • 17-18 Marker Location 17-18 Marker Location
  • 17-18 Marker #17-18 17-18 Marker #17-18
  • 17-18 Dunham Tavern Today 17-18 Dunham Tavern Today
  • 17-18 Another View 17-18 Another View
  • 17-18 Theresa Thomas 17-18 Theresa Thomas
  • 17-18 Tavern 17-18 Tavern
  • 17-18 Marker 17-18 Marker
  • 17-18 Dunham Tavern 17-18 Dunham Tavern
Title, side A
Dunham Tavern
Text, side A
Dunham Tavern is the oldest building still standing on its original site in the City of Cleveland. Once a stagecoach stop on the old Buffalo-Cleveland-Detroit road (modern Euclid Avenue), the tavern dates from 1824. The structure was built by Rufus and Jane Pratt Dunham, who journeyed to the Western Reserve from Mansfield, Massachusetts. The Dunhams sold the tavern in 1853. However, it continued to serve the public until 1857, when it was converted to a private residence. It remained a home until the nineteen thirties, when commercial development threatened the former tavern's existence. The historic structure was dedicated in 1936 as a museum depicting the life of an early Cleveland pioneer family. Dunham Tavern is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a designated Cleveland Landmark building.
Address
6709 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH
Location
6709 Euclid Avenue
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.504415, Longitude: -81.643410.
Google map: