Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 12-18 The Oxcart Library [6]

Title, side A
The Oxcart Library
Text, side A
In 1829 the citizens of Lenox voted to change the township name to Olmsted as their part of a bargain to acquire 500 books owned by the heirs of Aaron Olmsted. Believed to be the first public library in the Western Reserve, the books were brought from Hartford, Connecticut, by oxcart and were stored in settlers' cabins. The remaining 125 volumes are now housed in the North Olmsted Public Library.
Address
Butternut Ridge Road in front of the North Olmsted Library
North Olmsted, OH 44070
Location
Located just E of Lorain Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.412241, Longitude: -81.925760.
Google map: