Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 12-18 The Oxcart Library [6]

  • 12-18 Marer 12-18 Marer
  • 12-18 The Ox Cart Library Marker 12-18 The Ox Cart Library Marker
  • 12-18 The Ox Cart Library 12-18 The Ox Cart Library
  • 12-18 The Ox Cart Library History 12-18 The Ox Cart Library History
  • 12-18 The Ox Cart Library 12-18 The Ox Cart Library
  • 12-18 The Ox Cart Library 12-18 The Ox Cart Library
Title, side A
The Oxcart Library
Title, side B
Unknown
Text, side A
In 1829 the citizens of Lenox voted to change the township name to Olmsted as their part of a bargain to acquire 500 books owned by the heirs of Aaron Olmsted. Believed to be the first public library in the Western Reserve, the books were brought from Hartford, Connecticut, by oxcart and were stored in settlers' cabins. The remaining 125 volumes are now housed in the North Olmsted Public Library.
Text, side B
Unknown
Location
Butternut Ridge Road in front of the North Olmsted Library
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.412124, Longitude: -81.925650.
Google map: