Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 107-18 Solon Town Center [2]

  • 107-18 Town Center 107-18 Town Center
  • 107-18 Marker 107-18 Marker
Title, side A
Solon Town Center
Text, side A
In 1845, the Disciples of Christ built the first of three churches to occupy this site. They built a second, larger structure, to replace the original in 1858. On August 6th, 1860, 29 year-old circuit minister Brother James A. Garfield, the future 20th President of the United States, was paid $250.00 to speak here every other Sunday for one year. An arsonist destroyed both the second church and the Solon Village Hall. Erected in 1899, this building replaced the second church and was occupied by the Disciples of Christ until 1920, when it merged with two local churches to establish the Federated Church of Solon. In 1951, the Pioneer Memorial Church split from the Federated Church to move into the abandoned Disciples Church, which they renovated. The City of Solon purchased the building in 1968, and it has since been the home of The Solon Historical Society.
Address
33975 Bainbridge Rd
Solon, OH 44139
Location
Solon Historical Society