Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Cuyahoga County / 104-18 John Carroll University-Founded in 1886 [2]

  • 104-18 University 104-18 University
  • 104-18 Marker 104-18 Marker
Title, side A
John Carroll University-Founded in 1886
Text, side A
John Carroll University opened its doors as Saint Ignatius College on September 6, 1886. Originally located on Cleveland's West Side, the College was founded at the request of Bishop Richard Gilmour by German members of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits, founded in 1540). In 1923, the College was renamed John Carroll University after America's first bishop. In 1925, the University acquired land in Idlewood Village (now University Heights) and initiated construction of a new campus in 1931. Classes began there in 1935 with 456 students. The institution admitted laywomen to evening and graduate classes in the 1930s and officially became coeducational in 1968. The University's Jesuit Catholic mission inspires individuals to excel in learning, leadership, and service, both regionally and worldwide. John Carroll University is one of 28 Jesuit institutions of higher learning in the United States.
Address
20700 North Park Blvd
University Heights, OH 44118
Location
John Carroll University