Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Coshocton County / 5-16 The Coshocton County Courthouse [5]

  • 5-16 Other Marker In Front of Courthouse may be 00-25 5-16 Other Marker In Front of Courthouse may be 00-25
  • 5-16 Section of Mural inside Courthouse 5-16 Section of Mural inside Courthouse
  • 5-16 The marker 4/12/2014 5-16 The marker 4/12/2014
  • 5-16 Coshocton County Courthouse Marker 5-16 Coshocton County Courthouse Marker
  • 5-16 Coshocton County Courthouse 5-16 Coshocton County Courthouse
Title, side A
The Coshocton County Courthouse
Text, side A
In 1764, Colonel Henry Bouquet established the site of what is now Coshocton. In 1811, the county was founded and the town incorporated as the county seat. The Coshocton County Courthouse, the third on this site, was built between 1873 and 1875 by contractors Carpenter and Williams of Meadville, Pennsylvania. The Second Empire structure features a five-story tower containing a four-faced clock and the bell from the previous 1824 courthouse. The courthouse contains a notable mural by artist Arthur William Woelfle depicting the signing of Bouquet's treaty with the Indians near the Walhonding River in November 1764. The Coshocton County Courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Address
318 Main Street
Coshocton, OH 43812
Location
318 Main Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.273674, Longitude: -81.866710.
Google map: