Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Clermont County / 8-13 Mt. Zion Chapel [8]

  • 8-13 Mt. Zion Cemetery Marker 8-13 Mt. Zion Cemetery Marker
  • 8-13 Mt. Zion Cemetery Marker 8-13 Mt. Zion Cemetery Marker
  • 8-13 Mt. Zion Cemetery 8-13 Mt. Zion Cemetery
  • 8-13 Mt. Zion Chapel 8-13 Mt. Zion Chapel
  • 8-13 Lafayette School 8-13 Lafayette School
  • 8-13 Mt. Zion Chapel 8-13 Mt. Zion Chapel
  • 8-13 Mt. Zion Chapel 8-13 Mt. Zion Chapel
  • 8-13 Mt. Zion Chapel 8-13 Mt. Zion Chapel
Title, side A
Mt. Zion Chapel
Title, side B
Mt. Zion Cemetery/Lafayette School
Text, side A
The Mount Zion Chapel of the Christian Church was built in 1872 on this hill adjacent to the members' cemetery outside of Clermontville. The site was part of a two-acre parcel that had been secured from the farm of William R. Clark, Sr. for church and cemetery purposes. The Mount Zion Chapel replaced the Boat Run Christian Church that was organized in 1842 by a sect called the Christians, or the New Lights. Their first meeting house in Clermontville was dedicated on June 4, 1843 and damaged by floods in 1871. Worship was first held in the new frame church with the new name on October 6, 1872 and the church remains active today.
Text, side B
Mount Zion Cemetery grave markers date back to the early 1800s. Among those interred is Revolutionary War soldier, Lt. Hugh Mulloy, who died in 1845 and an unnamed Civil War soldier. There are also family plots of prominent Clermontville citizens: the Parkers, who founded the private Parker Academy (also known as Clermont Academy), and the Fridmans. About this hilltop cemetery, William Fridman once wrote "looking down the valley,...the Kentucky hills beyond, I exclaim Peaceful Valley." The one-room schoolhouse across the road, Lafayette School #6, was built in 1869 and functions as a Fellowship Hall.
Location
Mt. Zion Chapel, Across the road from 1665 Clermontvile-Laurel Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 38.917496, Longitude: -84.232722.
Google map: