Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Montgomery County / 31-57 The Dayton Art Institute Centennial [4]

Title, side A
The Dayton Art Institute Centennial
Title, side B
same
Text, side A
The Dayton Art Institute, one of the region's premier fine arts museums, was founded in 1919 as the Dayton Museum of Arts. Founding patrons included Orville Wright, members of the Patterson family, and philanthropist Julia Shaw Patterson Carnell, who donated a mansion for the museum's first home. In 1923, the museum changed its name to The Dayton Art Institute to reflect the growing importance of its art school, which operated until 1974. After outgrowing its first home, Carnell contributed $2 million for a new building designed by architect Edward B. Green. Completed in 1930 and modeled after two sixteenth century Italian Renaissance villas, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974 as a preeminent example of Second Renaissance Revival architecture. As it commemorates its centennial, The Dayton Art Institute continues to serve the community with exhibitions, educational programs, and events.
Text, side B
same
Address
456 Belmonte Park N
Dayton, OH 45405
Location
on lawn in front of the museum
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.7652782, Longitude: -84.2016667.
Google map: