Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Knox County / 12-42 Jane Payne, M.D. (1825-1882) [6]

  • IMG 5745 IMG 5745
  • IMG 5744 IMG 5744
  • IMG 5743 IMG 5743
  • IMG 5742 IMG 5742
  • Jane Payne Side 2 Jane Payne Side 2
  • Jane Payne Side 1 Jane Payne Side 1
Title, side A
Jane Payne, M.D. (1825-1882)
Title, side B
Same as side A
Text, side A
Dr. Jane Payne’s family migrated from Bristol, England in 1825. Her father Henry served as an Episcopal priest in Ohio, finally settling in Mount Vernon. Although her sight was impaired and she was challenged by infirmities left by childhood diseases and injuries, Payne resolved to be a physician. She began her studies with Dr. John W. Russell (1804-1887) in Mount Vernon. In 1861, she graduated first in what was the ninth class of the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. Overcoming prejudices against female physicians, Dr. Payne practiced from 1861 to 1882. She showed special concern for municipal sanitation and care for the poor. Her office was located at northwest corner of South Main and West Gambier streets. Dr. Payne succumbed to cancer and is buried in Mound View Cemetery.
Text, side B
Same as side A
Address
221 South Main Street
Mount Vernon, OH 43050
Location
Buchwald Plaza (Hunter Hall Health and Sciences Building)
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.391619, Longitude: -82.485765.
Google map: