Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Guernsey County / 7-30 Fletcher General Hospital & WWII POW Camp [9]

  • Marker Side 2 Marker Side 2
  • Marker Side 1 Marker Side 1
  • IMG 1261 IMG 1261
  • IMG 1270 IMG 1270
  • IMG 1271 IMG 1271
  • IMG 1268 IMG 1268
  • IMG 1250 IMG 1250
  • IMG 1256 IMG 1256
  • Fletcher General Hospital Fletcher General Hospital
Title, side A
Fletcher General Hospital & WWII POW Camp
Title, side B
Fletcher General Hospital & WWII POW Camp
Text, side A
During the Second World War, the U.S. Army constructed a 131-building hospital on level farmland a quarter mile northwest of this marker. The army built the facility as a 1,520-bed hospital in the winter and spring of 1942-‘43. It was later expanded to 168 buildings with a 2,000-bed capacity, including a German POW camp for 234 prisoners engaged in hospital work. Between June 1943 and March 1946, when the facility closed, 17,608 veterans were treated here, most having returned with injuries received in the European or Pacific theaters of war. Convalescence and rehabilitation were the hospital’s primary missions. Most patients returned to active duty when they recovered. After the war, the facility became the Cambridge State Hospital, which treated mentally ill and developmentally disabled Ohioans until 2008. Thereafter, the facility became the privately-operated Cambridge Behavioral Hospital and the state-operated Cambridge Developmental Center.
Text, side B
The hospital as it once appeared:
Address
66715 Old Twenty-One Road
Cambridge, OH 43725
Location
Fletcher Memorial Park on the corner of Toland and Old Twenty-One Road
Coordinates
Latitude: 40.067056, Longitude: -81.581556.
Google map: