Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Hamilton County / 82-31 St. Aloysius Orphanage [2]

  • Marker 82-31 photo Marker 82-31 photo
  • Marker 82-31 Marker 82-31
Title, side A
St. Aloysius Orphanage
Text, side A
Fr. John Henni founded St. Aloysius Orphanage in 1837 to care for German-speaking Catholic children who were left abandoned by the cholera epidemics of the 1830s. The orphanage has occupied its main building since 1856. All of the orphanage’s other buildings were constructed by 1930. In 1864, additional land was purchased, making the orphanage a self-sufficient farm growing fruits and vegetables as well as livestock.
Address
4721 Reading Road
Cincinnati, OH 45237
Location
St. Aloysius Chapel
Coordinates
Latitude: 39.171473, Longitude: -84.469007.
Google map: